Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The 24 Hours of Le Mans Race

My most recent adventure: the 24 Hours of Le Mans car race. As someone who knows nothing at all about car racing, my reaction was a little like this “Wooo yeah let’s go watch some cars!”… It turns out that the 24H is actually a much bigger (definitely more interesting than “whooo”) deal than I thought. It is the biggest sporting event I have attended in my life with 250,000 spectators (this hurt my American ego a bit).

But what does that really mean, 24 hours of racing? I shall explain:

It’s the world’s oldest endurance car race (started in 1923) where cars race for 24 hours with three drivers (“Like a road trip?” – “No Sara, not like a road trip”). There are two races, prototype cars (between companies like Peugeot and Audi) and street cars (between cars like Porsche, Ferrari, and Aston Martin). By the end of the race, I could actually tell the difference between all those brands! The point is to see who can go the furthest, without sustaining major damage to the car to the point where they have to quit. This year only 28 cars of 56 finished the race at all. The drivers go for about two or three hours and then change. The cars stop every 45 minutes for gas and sometimes a tire change (I did feel mildly guilty about how much gas that is, it seems to contradict my “do your best to save the environment” policy). The winner this year went 3,006 miles. The track is 8.46 miles per lap. Its takes the cars about 3 ½ minutes each time around. For the best ☺


Ok so that’s the logistics part of it. So what are 250,000 European car fans like? If you combined the Greeley Stampede Rodeo, Relay for Life and a Notre Dame football game, you might have something along the same lines. You have the classy fans, the avid fans (who are listening to stats in their headphones), and the drunken fans (who are to wasted to actually know they are at a car race). Camping is permitted so you can watch all night AND NEVER SLEEP!

(The Indianapolis curve around 10pm)

Friday afternoon begins with a parade of fancy cars (I think you pay to show of your fancy car of course) and of the drivers. I was loyally at my post for an hour, AN HOUR, waiting for the parade. Then I went to the bathroom for 4 minutes and missed Patrick Dempsey, who drives in the race. How cool is that, McDreamy has the special license and everything to compete. Anyways, missed him but Guillaume got a photo.


Saturday, we just barely made the start of the race but as you can imagine, watching several cars going about 200 mph is difficult to watch all at once. Then we strolled around, drank beer (which you are allowed to bring into the park) and wine, walked more, ate delicious baguette sandwiches, watched cars, walked, etc etc until 1am. I know, who ever thought Sara would watch 11 hours worth of car racing in one day. Not me.

(A little cold on Day 2)

After not enough sleep, we were at the race again Sunday morning. The end of the race was actually one of the most exciting of all time. I mean after 24 hours of racing, you typically know who the winner will be. But because of two crashes (something that is practically unheard of at this point), the Audi and Peugeot teams were within six minutes of each other at one point. In the end the Germans pulled through and came in first. We hopped the fence, and went to watch the spraying of champagne and awarding of trophies.


A truly unique experience, something I honestly thought I wouldn’t enjoy and something that I honestly did. I can’t say I am up for 18 hours of car racing more than once a year, but once I started paying attention (beyond “I like the pink car!”), it’s actually a wonder on the effort that goes into completing the race.

ONE WEEK left. How is the adventure ending? I am both overwhelming sad and happy. I need to see my family!









No comments:

Post a Comment