Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Summertime!

French BBQs. They are a treat. That is all I have to say (yeah right, I actually have a whole blog’s worth of notes!).

You might be wondering how do French BBQs differ from Americano ones? Classiness. I am no way saying we are less classy but for me, BBQ means grilling, chips, sodas (beer), lawn furniture and/or picnics while I try to make sure Jazz (my puppy… who is 16… so I guess not a puppy) doesn’t steal my hot dog, watermelon running down my face and corn in my teeth.

But it’s a different story in France. You start by grilling some sausages or kebabs (“brochettes”), but then… get this!!!... you sit down at the table and eat properly with a fork and knife. Sauces are involved such as béarnaise and crème fraiche (or ketchup if Americans are involved). Corn on the cob does not exist here (HORROR!).

Occasionally (okkkk frequently) I have these really fantastic moments where I am so glad I chose to come to France. I am continually surprised at the weird stereotypes that are so wrong about the French and then the others that are so dead on (I guess that’s why they are stereotypes).

Last Sunday was one of those beautiful days. I went with Guillaume to his godson’s birthday… on a farm… an apple farm… in the French countryside. I mean, really its the most cliché thing one could imagine and voila, it appears. A great big stone farmhouse, plus barns etc, a giant BBQ, 20 family members (6 children) and one American. And if you’re thinking you’re about to hear all about the meal, YOU’RE RIGHT!

Start: aperos of kir Breton (cider and crème de cassis[black current syrup]) with the weird assortment of Frenchie snacks (nuts, chips [Pringles are la classe here], and mussels). A weird baked tuna curry freaking delight with chive cream sauce as the entrée. And I don’t like fish, but this was awesome. And then sausages and pork from the BBQ with assorted sauces (no Ketchup ☹). Followed by Charlotte cake for dessert. Charlottes are like cake houses with stuff inside, one with chocolate mousse and one with strawberry compote. Important things to note: all the meat we ate came from their farm, and the strawberries as well.

It was too good and I successfully chatted (aka I didn’t just respond to questions but contributed a few comments of my own!) and laughed about the new “American” sized fridge the family just ordered. Very nice people who invited me back to pick apples if I stay. Well alright!

This weekend I am going to the 24 Heures car race in Le Mans. Apparently it is famous for those of us who might mildly follow car racing. Its 24 hours of racing, and the longest race in the world (last year Patrick Dempsey raced in it!). Apparently we shall be walking and watching the cars for approximately 8 hours. Not something I have done before, but I like new experiences so let’s go! Updates to come. Best wishes and can’t wait to see everyone in about one month (July 12th I am back!!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment